…without really trying.
I’m not patient. I have a killer eyeroll some people hate. I’m snarky about those that don’t use common sense. So it pains me to have a new job where I’m given money to create content on the internet. Well, no, I like the creating part. The curating and reading and sharing gets to me. I sift through internet noise all day looking for quality to share. Hopefully soon I’ll weed out the junk. There’s so much junk.
If you are new to social media…you are so late to the party you are on clean up crew and the cool kids are smirking at you – so you better at least be wearing something blingy. But, you’ll find so many lists telling you that you need an app, or their help, or 34838677087346 best practices they’ve outlined in an infographic that they’ll send to your email.
I mean, if you suck, you suck. No app can help. So DON’T SUCK.
- Spell shit right.
- Your grammar and spelling will be judged. Cut and paste in to something that has spell check. Reread. Take a breath. Social media flies by and gives you the impression people are out there WONDERING WHY YOU HAVEN’T POSTED YET. They’re not. It’s ok. Take the time to get it right.
- Swear if you want.
- The real point is be yourself. If I can’t get a sense of YOUness, I’m not interested. The most successful people online – you feel like you KNOW them. Whether that’s swearing or running around in short shorts taking booty pics, or talking about church, just DO you. Be authentic, not what you think people want to see. That never works.
- Ignore all those ‘best practice’ ideas.
- No one knows your business or goals like you. I see the irony of making a list telling you to ignore lists, but the real takeaway should be that a process of elimination will tell you what works for your audience. Maybe some nerds talking about gardening really want a pic of your flowers. Every. Single. Day.
- Thank people.
- Being nice and noticing other people will get you farther than cramming your crap down their throats and wondering why they don’t respond. A little effort goes a long way. My favorite group of people online are massage therapist friends of a girl I went to school with. Because they support each other and make the effort to share successes. It’s kinda the point.
Well, other than mine of course.
What do you think? Agree? Disagree? What else would you add that you are sick of seeing/hearing/being told?
Twitter annoys me to death because most people have no clue how to use it. I just get an influx of spam links of people trying to advertise their wares, and here I am showing my ‘youness’ and being swept up and flushed away. So I engage in people’s conversations more than anything else now because trying to start my own feels futile.
My massage groups of peps are pretty awesome and we are glad to have you hanging us ! My social media pet peeve are facebook invites. I really don’t care about your party in Ca. chances are I am not going to make it. You can make a list of people for a reason (-:
Great post Cat! I love how you just get to the point. I have learned a lot about twitter just by using it for several years.
So late to the party, agreed. Clean up crew is highly accurate. Wish I could hug your post.